Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Get an error code 5,156, when trying scan a document. the

Customer Question

get an error code 5,156,69 when trying scan a document. the print and copy function works but there error message says the scan is not turned on or the usb cable is not contected
what do I do to fix this
Category: Printers
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 6 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent computer expert who's been paired with you through It is my pleasure to assist you today.This particular error can occur when your printer's software drivers have become corrupted. File corruption is a bit of a naturally-occurring phenomena on Windows, and can happen due to overwrites, bad hard drive sectors, or a number of other reasons.The first step in troubleshooting this problem is to uninstall your existing printer software drivers and install a new version. You can install the latest software for your printer by following this link: you've reinstalled the printer software, please try scanning again and let me know what happens.
Hi again! It's been a bit since we chatted, so I wanted to check back and see if reinstalling your printer drivers had helped to resolve your issue? If so, GREAT! If not, however, please know that I'm available to continue troubleshooting at your convenience. You can return to our Q&A thread anytime at