Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have a canon pixma mx472 printer and I am getting the error

Customer Question

I have a canon pixma mx472 printer and I am getting the error message 5012. I have tried unplugging the machine and plugging it back in and it is still not working
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I am getting the error 5012 message when I turn the printer back on. I can't get rid of the message
JA: Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: i don't think so?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you. I am not sure as to why I am getting this message
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
I was just letting you know I'm here. Please give me just a few moments to finish replying.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error"Specifically, it is the result of a faulty scanner assembly (failed flatbed motor) or the logic board that controls it. The scanner is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into its maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. There is one step you can take here, to reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the scanner assembly, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just bought this printer 2 years ago at the most. It was working fine. I put it in my car and drove 3 doors down and brought it inside. I am not instersted in paying additonal money to have this worked on. I have had this error message before and unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
You do not need to pay more, anything you see about a phone call or remote session is entirely optional. The printer is giving you a specific diagnostic code pertaining to an internal failure of the scanner motor.It is quite possible that it was damaged in transit. As mentioned, we can try to reset the printer, however this cannot resolve an underlying hardware damage situation:reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?