Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

I have a HP Office Jet Pro L7780. I have had it since 2006.

Customer Question

I have a HP Office Jet Pro L7780. I have had it since 2006. Lately the printing hasn't been great. It will print and leave full sections across the page unprinted and totally blank. an I have run all the printer services several times. Now, it wont print at all. It copies fine. I just tried to print this morning and it says I am out of one of the ink colors. I am hesitant to buy the ink, as I am not sure if it will work once I install it.
JA: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.What do you mean by it copies fine?Is it copying and printing fine or only copying fine?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Today, I cant copy because it says I am now out of yellow ink, but prior to today, if I lay a document on the glass, it prints the copy fine. it wont print if I am creating a document on the computer and select print.
What is the operating system of your computer?for eg: windows/mac
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows on a Lenovo computer.
Would you like me to remote in your computer and work on the issue directly?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sure.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
For additional $?
Yes, remote assistance will cost you extra. It's a premium service. It's a convenient and faster process.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not sure about that. Perhaps not right now.
Don't worry, With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and you can stop any time using your mouse. And we have an A+ rating at the Better Business Bureau website:http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not for paying more - just wanted you to ask me to try a few things.
No problem, if you want we can continue without remote assistance.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
let's try that. I recently downloaded windows 10. Could this be part of the problem?
1. Open any file to print > then press ctrl + P key to print. 2. Then select "Paper Type/Quality" 3. Then click on the triangle next to Color Option, and select Grayscale. 4. Then select save. Tell me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried that before, and just left spaces where there was colored print. So it didn't print gray in that area. Right now I cant print unless I buy the yellow cartridge. Should I get one and then send you a note?
You can change your printer to default black and white without replacing the color catridges.If the problem will be something different then there is no use of wasting money on a new yellow cartridge because nowadays you can get a new printer for 40-50$.
I just need to play around with your printer settings to get to the root cause of the problem.
Please go to the control panel > then click view devices and printers > then right click on your printer and select printing properties.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did that and the printer says I need to add yellow ink. I believe I read that this is a downfall with this printer that it wont print without all colored cartridges (even printing black).
In that case I won't recommend you to spend more on such a old printer.This printer has served you well for 10 years. This printer won't last long.You can now purchase printers at a very less price with latest technology which will be cost effective in the long run.
Please be kind enough to rate my service by clicking on one of the stars at the top > then click Submit.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do the print heads work the same if you print a document, or if you copy a document?
There is only one printing mechanism and it works the same for copying and printing function.