Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

My Printer MFC-6490Cw will not print in black JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

My Printer MFC-6490Cw will not print in black
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Changed cartridge several weeks ago, now it will not print in black. installed new cartridge same problem
JA: Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. First, using your printer's installed software on your computer, check the ink level sensed for the black ink cartridge.Try going into your printer's Maintenance menu, doing a Head Cleaning (or perhaps it is called Printhead Cleaning, or even just 'Cleaning') cycle. Then wait 1/2 hour to 3 hours for ink to soak into the printhead. Then another Head Cleaning, and do a test print to see if black is working again.