Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

How can I print a single piece of paper on my Brother MFC 870DW

Customer Question

How can I print a single piece of paper on my Brother MFC 870DW printer. I don't seem to be able to get the feeder tray to work with photo paper.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The photo paper tray is just above the output tray cover. http://support.brother.com/g/b/img/faqend/faq00002925_003/sg/en/38168/a870_u_g0191.gifSqueeze the photo paper tray (photo bypass tray) release (1) button with your right index finger and thumb and push the photo paper tray (photo bypass tray) forward until it clicks into the photo printing position (2). http://support.brother.com/g/b/img/faqend/faq00002925_003/sg/en/38204/a870_u_g0192.gifPress and slide the paper width guides (1) and paper length guide (2) to fit the paper you are loading. I hope that indicates something of how to print on photo paper.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello: this did NOT help me. I want to print A letter sized photo. (8 1/2 x 11) this is the type of paper that will not load properly from the paper tray.Please advise before billing me.Don
If the paper is Letter size (eight-and-a-half by eleven inches), then load it like Letter paper, in the normal tray. That should work. ?
As for billing, I have no power over it as a JustAnswer.com Expert. For concerns about billing, see Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, and contact them through:http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-usThey will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That does NOT work. That was the reason for my question. It loads regular letter paper but it will not load photo paper. It pulls the paper from the tray and puts it down under the paper tray, then shows "paper jamb".
Does any other size of photo paper print OK?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, the 4 x 6 works OK
Do you load it in the normal paper tray? or do you load it in a photo paper tray?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I use the 4 x 6 tray that is on top
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Isn't there a way to feed one sheet of 81/2 x 11 photo paper without putting it into the paper tray?
If the photo paper tray is 4 x 6 inches, you cannot put a letter-size sheet in it, obviously.When you send a photo print job, how do you send it? it must be specifying that the photo paper tray is to be used, judging by the results. I suggest that, to print on a letter-size sheet of photo paper, you would need to send it as a normal print job... but tell me more about how you are doing it now, so that I may help you better.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I set the computer print size to "letter" and the printer paper size to "letter" and then press print. But the photo paper ( that is a bit heavier than regular 24 or 30 pound paper) does not get pulled out of the tray properly. It then shows"paper jamb". That is why I wanted to just manually feed one piece of photo paper and that is why I asked the original question.
I see. The manual feed option does not exist on this model. What software or program are you printing from, when you try to print a Letter size photo?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have tried many different areas: even Wikipedia, but the results are usually the same. If the printer does not have a manual sheet function I'm afraid the feed just won't work well with the heavier paper. SHAME ON BROTHER! !
Some Brother printers do have manual feed. This model, the model you have, is rather scaled-down compared to some... and doubtless a bit cheaper as a result. Is there any other matter I can advise you on? If not, please rate my answer - and, judging by your remarks, please don't rate me on Brother's performance. I tried to help.