Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.

Since upgrading to Windows 10 the scan function on my image

Customer Question

Since upgrading to Windows 10 the scan function on my image class MF printer is not working
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I advise you to do a full uninstall of the printer's software.And also go to the printer's entry in the Devices And Printers, select it, and delete it.And restart your computer.Then reload all the drivers - for your specific version and type of Windows 10, not from any disc that perhaps doesn't have Windows 10 drivers at all - for printing and for scanning, and see how that goes. If any of those steps was skipped, all those steps have to be done together, to count. If you want specific step-by-step instructions, let me know whether your Windows 10 is the 32-bit or the 64-bit type, and also let me know your (Brother?) printer's model #. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My Windows 10 is 64-bit.
The printer is a Canon MF image Class MF 4350d
Where can I get the correct driver?
Either here:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did everything you said. Now when I try to scan I get a dialog box with the following message: You need a WIA driver to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or the manufacturers website and try again. What is a WIA driver and where can I get it?
WIA and TWAIN are the names of the two major Windows scanner driver systems. Try first, turning your router Off.Then turning the printer Off.Then waiting 2 minutes or longer.Then turning the router back On, and waiting 5 minutes. (And re-connecting to it, with your computer, if you haven't already.)Then, turn On the printer again, and wait 2 minutes or more. See if that makes the printer accessible for scanning.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Followed above steps - same result!
Another indication for this sort of problem and this error message, was that WIA has a service, in the Services list, and in Windows 10 perhaps this service is turned Off. So open the Services list. Scroll to the bottom. Locate WIA (or Windows Image Acquisition), and make sure it is Enabled and Started. (If not Started, open that entry by double-clicking on it, and Start it, using the 'Start' button on the General tab.) Then try scanning once more. Let me know if that at least cures the WIA message. And let me know if it works OK, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked and it says Windows Image Acquisition is running. I turned it off, started it again and tried to scan - same result - says I need a WIA driver
Some say that's owing to needing a full-fledged driver set.I'm frankly puzzled at this point, as to what to suggest, so I think another Expert should have a try at the problem. I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will try to help you with this. To confirm, you did download and install both the items imageCLASS MF4350d MFDrivers and Tool Box at the Canon website right? did you upgrade to Windows 10?It looks like this old all-in-one printer device is not fully compatible with Windows 10. Would you like to go back to your previous working Windows version?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, both driver updates were downloaded and installed. I don't recall exactly when I installed Windows 10 - several months ago at least.
The Canon website says that this printer model IS compatible with Windows 10.
I would rather not go back to the previous Windows version.
So it's been several months that you could not scan. To confirm, you open the (Canon) Toolbox program, but you cannot scan with it right?Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,