Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

3520 wont print black. tried everything suggested

Customer Question

***** *****. 3520 wont print black. tried everything suggested
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it started when i replaced the cartridge. its been 4 days of retrying everything.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not satisfied. You haven't told me anything that I don't already know I'd like my money back.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
I have no way of knowing what you know, or what you've already tried, as that information was not provided in your initial question. If it was available, I would have skipped ahead and given you the manual cleaning steps. Would you like to try that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I said I've tried everything recommended. I really did not expect to get a final letter telling him what I've already read on the Internet. I don't think that's worth the money. Just refund my money and leave me alone.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Spellcheck entered the wrong word. I meant form letter.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Again, I have no way of knowing what you've tried, if it isn't specified. Everything recommended could mean anything. If you are reading prior information provided by me to another customer, that is still information of mine that you were utilizing. As you requested me specifically, I assumed you were interested in engaging in a conversation. If you truly have attempted all of these steps, then the remaining options are manual cleaning or replacement of the printer. Again I'm happy to give more information on those options if you'd like. --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, I don't think so. I will not do business with a company that will not refund fees for services not rendered but promised.I'm sorry you're caught in the middle.You're implying there will be no refund. No way in hell on gonna pay an Internet scamming company more because I feel sorry for them not paying you. I have a mind to report the company.Try getting your pay from the company you work for...good luck! Maybe you'll start to have the same opinion of it that I do.I hate internet scammers.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
I am not implying anything.I was simply trying to explain how the site works. You requested my services, I provided a corresponding answer. If you feel my time and efforts are of no value, and don't wish to pay, that is ultimately up to your conscience and discretion. You may then seek a refund through the help page. Best of luck to you.Nathan