Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I have a HL-5470DW printer. It has paper in the multi

Customer Question

Hi. I have a HL-5470DW printer. It has paper in the multi purpose tray but will not print because I keep getting the message that there's no paper in the tray, please load paper in the multi purpose tray, etc. Frustrating! Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
JA: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Well, yesterday when I had this problem it would sometimes print after I opened the printer and closed the top again; sometimes only a page at a time. Also, I have the driver set to MP Tray like I think I'm supposed to. Also, I am not computer savvy at all; only know what the driver is by reading a portion of the user's manual.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Printers are a fickle monster, and honestly the problems to solve them are, in the end, simple.

But with anything....its the diagnosis that is the most difficult in any troubleshooting task. Applying the fix is normally quite easy.

But lets not jinx ourself....Eh?!

.

How old is this printer? When did this start to happen? (My first hunch is that the paper sensor is starting to fail, or is sticking, or dirty.

The older it is, the more likely this issue becomes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2 weeks old or so.

Ahh, okay....so really BRAND NEW.

Thats good news!......but difficult to swallow or even narrow down on the fact that some part is already bad or failing.

I mean it does happen.....i get DOA components all the time (well not all the time, say 1 or 2 out of 10)....so its not out of the realm of possibility. We just want to be REALLY REALLY sure, before you spend the time to return or exchange it.

.

So, first....i need to pull the tech manuals, and see if you have more than 1 paper tray.

The Multi-purpose MIGHT be the right tray to use for standard Legal size, light weight paper.....please stand-by.

I found this specification for that printer.

I need you to cross check the type of paper you are loading into the printer, and look at the image (below is the link) to see which paper tray you are supposed to load THAT type of paper into.

I circled in yellow, where the corresponding paper trays, and paper weights to check.

Looks like you only have 2 paper trays.

So...did you check the chart, and cross check what type of paper you had in the multi paper tray?

Any update?