Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have an MX390 with head alignment issues. The instructions

Customer Question

I have an MX390 with head alignment issues. The instructions state to run "Head Alignment." Then when the patterns print, I get asked "Are the patterns fine?" If yes, scan the printout. But what if not fine? I followed the instructions for "Align Print Head." After I get the printed patterns, the instructions seem to indicate that I would enter values somewhere to indicate patters with the least amount of streaks. Where? Nothing shows up on the computer nor on the printer. I've been at this for hours. Please help. Thanks!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you may have to have the software - the full set, not just the basic driver - installed for this process to work properly, with all the steps.

What computer are you using the printer with? Windows or Apple?

And what version of the OS is on the computer?

How did the head alignment process get started? if from your computer, I would advise trying the full software set install first. If from the printer itself, how / what function started it?

And if from an error, what error was it? Was it perhaps an 'Automatic Alignment Failure' message? if so, then you would need to enter the values that look best in the printout, into a program on your computer or into a display on the printer, in order to do what is called a 'Manual Alignment.'

Is this a new printer, and if so: how new?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Russell,I'm using a Dell, Windows 10. I tried the head alignment process from both my computer and from the printer. I followed the instructions exactly as stated in the manual found here: http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/MX390%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/Dg-c_alignment.htmlBefore updating to Windows 10, I had the same issue.When I run it from the printer, I go through the settings and maintenance function. But I can only run the patterns from there. There's no where to make adjustments.No errors, no windows or program showing where to make adjustments.I bought the Canon printer in 2014.

In the 'Automatic Print head alignment' process, the sheet is printed, then you scan that sheet by laying it flat on the glass sheet, the printer scans it and reads the values and makes the adjustments by itself. Have you completed that process? then you don't need to do the manual alignment also.

It's only really if you fail the print head alignment that is automatic, that you then need to do the manual alignment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've printed that sheet as instructed, but the lines are all a mess. So when it asks, "Are the patterns fine?" I'd have to say yes to continue the scan process. Sorry but this process is still not making sense. Am I to scan the messy pattern?

Try it. Given that the printing is so badly aligned, it probably can't make anything worse.

But you are, really, supposed to enter the values - unless this is an automatic scan.

(In some printers, the automatic scan has to be run, and then it has to be run again, until those lines line up some.)