Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I have a brother MFC-J470DW all in one machine, printer,

Customer Question

I have a brother MFC-J470DW all in one machine, printer, scanner, copier. I have a local secure network. I can print to it and make copies but when I try to get it to scan something and send it back to my computer as either a file or email it says no connection.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the local network is secure, how is it secured?

With a firewall router? if so, was that reset just before the failure? if so, check the router's firewall settings as to whether they allow the computer to request and then receive a scan from the printer?

Check also on the computer's own firewall. Printing, be it noted, is a different port to open in the firewall, than scanning. So the printing working only proves the connection is there and usable, but not that the firewall is properly configured for scanning too.

Printing can be allowed by firewall over a network, and also scanning.

At worst, uninstalling the printer from the computer, restarting the computer, and reinstalling all the printer's software, could help.