Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

Is there anything that can be done to restore function in a

Customer Question

Is there anything that can be done to restore function in a B8100 all-in-one printer whose touch screen no longer responds in the lower right-hand quadrant (includes a non-responsive "ok" icon. Other icons in other areas do respond.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

First, have you cleaned the screen with a damp cloth as a build up of any grease can cause it to stop responding.

Please let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've cleaned it and remember the rest of the icons work.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

I remember, just ruling out a part of the screen, the most used part may have this bui,d up

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
did and now I can go to the tools menu to find "ink levels" (which is what I was trying to do to start with since the last printed page was very light) and I get question marks for all the colors but a "full"message for black
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The lower right habd corner is still not responding
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, now take the cartridges out and put them back in and tell me if that corrects it please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK - Did that. Going through the tools menu (upper right) question about "ink levels" remains the same - 3 question marks for the 3 colors and an indication that the black level is full. Right lower quadrant "exit" id still unrespponsive. After a period of time the screen defaults to it's initial setting
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the issue as these multiple problems point to the firmware as resetting and not correctly loading which means it is the internal memory that has faulted.

We have ruled out the other causes for this.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have the mainboard replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The service was responsive but the problem wasn't solved as it appears to be a problem with the printer itself
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

I understand but I can only go through and eliminate the causes and if it still does not work, inform you exactly what the issue is. I am sorry you are dissapointed the problem is still there, but once the mainboard in it is replaced, as this is a hardware issue, it will work correctly again.

As I offered, if you need anything., please let me know, and if you can please click one of the stars to rate my service and how I delivered it to you, then click submit, that allows me to be credited.

Thank you