Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Does anybody at JA know how to install a Brother MFC printer

Customer Question

Does anybody at JA know how to install a Brother MFC printer on a Acer Aspire please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

what is the model number of the printer and how would you like to be installed on the Acer computer USB or Wireless.

Let me know what operating system you have on the Acer Aspire.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It's Win 7, Wireless, MFC- J480DW...I think it best if you remote in?

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Secure Remote Assistance is an additional service you must be getting the option popup on your screen which you can opt for and if you do not see let me know so that i can send you manually.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I keep replying, but it disappears! Please can you remote in....there's no pop-up. Back in 30 mins...please use this PC.

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

yes please let me send you the offer.

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Accept the offer then i will be able to send you the remote link to run.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ouch!, That's a month's worth of questions...I'm sure you can do a bit better than that?

Ok, How about $30?

Are you still there?

I guess not?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK, I'll keep trying myself if you've gone.

First I'll uninstall all Brother software

Next I'll reboot PC, Printer and modem

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

were you able to reinstall and make the printer work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No, in the end I ended up paying for somebody at JA to remote in...for about 6 hours and it still doesn't work. They want me to reload WIN 7, which means I will have to reload all my applications including MS Office and I dont have a working CD ROM. I tried Brother, but they had to go home at 5pm. I've re-installed my old MFC (in about 5 mins). I just hope it will last until somebody figures out how to get a new MFC working with a simple Acer PC. You can have a look if you like, but I can't afford to pay any more. It would be cheaper to buy an Epson or HP...and install it in 5 minutes!

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

I will open this question to other experts for there view and input.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I'm will to pay a NZ$40 bonus to anybody who can fix it without me doing anything significant at my end (like reloading WIN 7)?

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

let me know when you are online i will send you a remote link

Expert:  JKalman replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Expert:  JKalman replied 8 months ago.

I understand the difficulties that you have had getting anyone to solve your problem. I can do it, but I will need your cooperation. Please let me know when you are ready to continue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK, I'm here and I've already paid for remote assistance.

Expert:  JKalman replied 8 months ago.

I do not see any record of your receiving any remote assistance. You mentioned it with the previous expert, but you did not get a formal offer, and you were not charged.

Expert:  JKalman replied 8 months ago.

I can help you install your printer software, either with or without remote assistance, but I will need your cooperation either way. We can work on this later, when we are both available online. I look forward to it!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I remember entering my details and I now have an (as yet) unidentified payment of NZ $41.92. I remember waiting for a few seconds while the payment went through. It was not the previous expert it was the one before (I re-entered the original question).

Expert:  JKalman replied 8 months ago.

Hi. I don't have access to the original question. Did you give a rating, either positive or negative? You don't get charged until you rate the service you have received. You can contact Customer Service for a refund, if you were not satisfied.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

This was it...... Additional Service Details

From Richard

Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:15 PM (GMT+ 12)

Thank you

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

Expert:  JKalman replied 8 months ago.

Right. But that was not a formal offer. Did the remote connection through Team Viewer actually occur, where you gave him your id and pw?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I've since realised that (although I didn't want to believe it) the fault almost certainly lies in my OS (WIN 7) I think it has become corrupted and needs to be reloaded. What's the best way to go about this? I have a portable 2TB HDD, all of my business files are backed up to dropbox and my emails should be backed up with the hosting provider (I'd still like to back them up - just in case). BTW I loaded the printer first time on my Asus LT running WIN 7. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you - Ken

Expert:  JKalman replied 8 months ago.

Are you having a problem printing on your Asus or your Acer, or both?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Asus worked perfectly first time. Acer Aspire is the problem.

Smiley face time?

Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 8 months ago.

Sir or Madam, what is the Operating System on the Laptop in question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi, It's the OS (WIN 7) that's corrupt. However, I can't reload it because that means exporting all of my Outlook files (back up) then reloading MS Office 2013 (MS reckon my code is invalid and I don't have discs). So I've connected an old PC to the new printer and will run the new printer off that until I can sort this system out. I daren't risk losing any emails as by law I must keep them for 7 years! Yes, the email server provider keeps a copy and the rest of my files are on drop box, but I'll just manage as is for the time being. Thanks - Ken

So you no longer need assistance?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 months ago.

these utilities from microsoft will recreate the entire print system

they will also remove all printers so if you have other printers that do work they would have to be re installed

I have had good success with them when it was something in the print system that was corrupted. If it is a larger issue that is affecting other parts of the operating system it may not work

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2012/02/24/microsoft-fixit-for-printing/

as fpr the outlook those can be backed up and restored fairly easily

you just have to copy the pst file to a safe place

then when you re install outlook go to data management and add them it back.

the programs in the link above will not affect the outlook just the printers. I put that there to let you know that i can help if you did decide to re install the op system. personally it seems a pain just for a printer.