Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I installed new printer cartridges (61)and the printer sends

Customer Question

I installed new printer cartridges (61)and the printer sends me a message that the cartridges are incompatible
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My printer message said that I was out of ink. The cartridges in the unit were 61 for both color and black. I purchased new HP 61 but they are listed as non compatible .
JA: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: NO.
JA: Our top Printer Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Printer Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Printer Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the make/model of the printer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HP Envy 5530
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Did you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry!! The Printer still indicates that the cartridges are not intended for use in this printer. I will go to the store and see if there are other "61" cartridges.
Thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

There is only 1 cartridge with that size/format, and getting multiple bad cartridges is unlikely, which would bring us back to a hardware issue.

You can certainly try another cartridge if the store will exchange them for you. If not, or if the problem continues, let me know and I'll advise further.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The first ink cartridges I purchased were in abox with blue butterflies on them. These were "61" ink cartridges. I returned to the store and purchased another HP box of cartridges"61". These were in a box with a green (?) cactus. Both boxes seemed the same, but when I put in the Cartridges from the green cactus, they worked perfectly. Sorry you were unable to help with this problem. Louise
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

They use different branding on them depending on when it was manufactured, the images rotate, but the content is the same. The current set you got was probably newer, and the older ones may have been expired.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?