Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

I am trying to scan a page to my laptop computer from my

Customer Question

I am trying to scan a page to my laptop computer from my newly purchased Epson Workforce 3620 all in one. I put my document in the automatic document feeder (ADF) first, then I select the Scan option from my control panel. I then select "Scan to Computer (WSD)". It then shows me on the screen that the "Scan to owner-PC" is checked. I then hit the start button to begin scanning and then after the Epson attempts to do so for awhile it gives the following error message: "Communication Error. Check if the computer is connected." Do you know how to fix this problem? I understand the error message but why is it not recognizing my laptop?
Note: I am somewhat confused because I am able to print documents wirelessly from my laptop to the Epson printer with no problem so why is the scan feature not recognizing my computer/laptop (when I try to scan from the Epson to my laptop)?? My laptop and the Epson are already both part of my (secure) home wireless network.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 8 months ago.

Which version of Windows do you use ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows Vista (Home Version). Does that matter? It doesn't sound like a Windows issue.

No, it is not a Windows issue, but I need that information for testing purpose. Try to follow the steps below to scan from your computer and let me know, what happens.

1. Place a document on the scanner, or, if the scanner has a document feeder, place one or more pages in the feeder. If your scanner offers both options, use the option that you prefer.

2. Click the Start button ,click All Programs, and then click Windows Fax and Scan.

3. To use Scan view, at the bottom of the left pane, click Scan.

4. On the toolbar, click New Scan.

5. In the New Scan dialog box, click the Profile list, and then click Documents. The default settings for scanning a document, which you can use or change, are automatically displayed.

6. To see how a document will appear when scanned, click Preview. If needed, change your scan settings, and then preview the document again. Repeat this step until you are satisfied with the preview results.

7. Click Scan. When the scan is complete, Windows Fax and Scan automatically displays the document so that you can view and manage it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I figured it out using the OCR feature to (successfully) scan as PDF files. Your directions are somewhat confusing though. Where is "Windows Fax and Scan"? That is not separately shown under All Programs (not on my laptop anyway). Do I have to open the control panel to find that?

No, it is generally under Accessories, as you are using Vista, which is a old Windows version, I thought that, you will be able to find the program, that is why skipped those steps to find the program.

Are you able to scan from your printer, using the printer's control panel ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but I realized you have to use the printer control panel in conjunction with the Epson Scan program that came loaded with the software (and which is now one of my loaded programs). When I use the Epson Scan program I can scan the document as a PDF file from either the glass surface or the automatic document feeder (to the location of my choice on my laptop).

Yes, that is correct and that is the reason for which I have asked you try those steps, so that I can understand, if the problem is due to Epson software or any hardware issues, if you are able to scan using my steps then, my answer will be to install Epson program. As I cannot see your PC, I have to do these extra steps to make sure of the problem. Anyway, I am happy to hear that your problem is solved now. Please let me know, if you need any further help.