Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My printer leaves black marks down the right side of the

Customer Question

My printer leaves black marks down the right side of the page only
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: every page that I print has lines down the right side of the page...along the right edge only
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: nope...all is good otherwise
JA: Our top Printer Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Printer Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Printer Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What maker and model is your printer? (Primarily I need to know, in order to tell whether it's a laser-type printer, or an inkjet type... or perhaps another type also.)

Such edge-marks are usually owing to either leaking ink from a cartridge, and/or wrongly positioned or excessively damp paper stock. Check interior for leaked toner/ink, first of all.

Let me know more, and I will advise you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
LEXMARK X454LASER PRINTER (ALL IN ONE)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THE PAPER IS FINE AND NO LEAKING TONER

How recently did you put in new toner?

And, was the cartridge 'Lexmark compatible', and/or refilled, remanufactured, etc.?

Are the toner marks at all textured, grooved, etc.? or are they just plain there, without texturing or variation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
last week new toner
its been happening foe a month now
toner is always purchased new

In other words: is the abnormal toner marking on the edge of printouts, looking like anything, or just a featureless uniform stripe?

And is it on every page, period? on the entire edge too, or just some of it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I get what looks like skid marks down the right edge of every page.
There are always 3 of them...spaced a few inches apart.
No other markings on the paper

That sounds as if it might be a marginally (literally, on the margin as well as not-too-severely) damaged 'drum' or developer.

If your toner cartridge includes the shiny, greenish-bluish metallic 'drum', then the cartridge would need replacing for that.

The 'drum' part is very easily damaged by all sorts of things, esp. prolonged direct lighting and touch and moisture and abrasion with almost anything. So be careful with any replacement, not to touch nor moisten etc. the new cartridge's metallic-looking colored 'drum' part.