Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My mita DC 3060 analog photo copier has ghosting, but only

Customer Question

my mita DC 3060 analog photo copier has ghosting, but only on the 11x17" size sheet
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well, it's an older copier, but doesnt have more than 15,000 copies on its new drum
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It's a refurb i bought in the late 90's
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: anyway, the copies are fine, but on the large sheets there's a ghost of what is on the first part of the sheet appearing on the 2nd half
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the ghosting only at one end of the resultant 11x17" sheets as produced by the printer?

Are you using 'compatible' or refilled or otherwise non-standard cartridge or toner supplies?

Ghosting is in very general terms, produced by some toner not being removed properly from the drum, whether by 'blade ghosting' owing to defective 'doctor blade', or 'quench ghosting' by lack of quenching in other types of models of laser printer or copier.

So let me know, and I will advise you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, just getting back to this now; I believe the toner is original but don't know for sure. I pulled a reservoir last night that is relatively full of toner, should it say Mita on it? I didn't see that. Also, is there a reservoir for "used toner" on this mita; my old Toshiba had this. I'm asking because I'm wondering if what I pulled is just such a reservoir rather than the toner cartridge. I've never replaced the cartridge because I've only made 14,000 and some copies and am guessing it's not even close to being used up.The blade idea seems to be my guess because the copies on 8 1/2 x 11 are clear of ghosting. And yes, as I tried to describe, the ghosting is only on the 2nd half of the larger (11x17") sheet, ie: the latter half has an image of what's on the beginning part of the copy.I'm unable to have it cleaned I believe only because I live in small, small Salinas CA; a city/metro of only 150,000 people total, consequently there are limited office machine providers. My favorite one specializes in Sharp machines and is not able or not willing to service my mita machine, perhaps they can't get parts, at least not easily. By contrast, back in Los Angeles with it's 15 and a half million people and lots and lots of businesses to go along with a population bigger than most states all in one metro area where I acquired it, I expect there'd be plenty of providers to clean or replace worn parts or dried out blades if that's the problem.I did an absurd amount of research online to see what I might do to service this minor but encumbering issue., it was frustrating that this issue wasn't covered. The closest I got to what I thought might address the issue was a silent video made in Poland (all Polish titles) showing my machine, I believe having the drum removed and the assembly that holds it vacuumed. There I saw what looked like a blade that touched th back edge of the drum (if the drum is a red metallic cylinder) go from black to having a green front edge of the blade after getting vacuumed. That's the blade I suspect; just guessing of course. The problem is, that it seemed very deep into the interior of the machine and, even though extremely mechanical, I see the possibility of making a minor mistake that would devastate the otherwise functional machine I have. there were lots and various screws to remove, and many seemed impact tightened.I hope that gives you the information you need to understand the problem.So: is there a way to "wipe something down" that may be causing this problem?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The 'toner bottle' should be distinguished by having an open top or 'neck' or the like. A true usable-toner cartridge should never have an opening that faces upward - debris or paper dust would get into it and contaminate the toner.

Are the ghost images at all 'streaked' or streaky or otherwise uneven across the page?

That could, if so, mean a defective or deteriorating doctor blade... which might have more-abraded parts on it, letting through some spare toner.

The 'drum' or the developer would be colored and yes, metallic. As opposed to rubbery and red, which would be in some types, one of the fuser rollers.

The fuser roller - if that's what the red roller is - would be quite hot, skin-burns hot.

You can do a cleaning yourself. It's standard maintenance procedure. Would you like the procedure to do so?

(-Thanks for the abundant information you've provided so far.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would've liked to proceed but in the meantime I'd located a used color laser scanner in good condition from a trusted source and the co he leased it from has qualified it a very good condition and offered it with their standard service agreement as it's a brand the regularly service, there are no mita servicers in my area or I'd have hied it done as stated.There's likely nothing wrong with the toner as it copies perfectly all across even the larger sheets, I bought it, the copier from a quality reseller who would've used a compatible or original toner, he relies on repeat business from referrals. Also, since it didn't do this in the past and I assume the 14,ooo+ copies since last cleaning to be the culprit.
There is no streaking, just ghosting, a faint image of what is on the beginning side of the sheet on the end of only the larger 11 x 17" sheet, none of this occurs on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet.With the replacement color laser unit pending delivery, and the answer to my original concern, I thought I'd given enough info initally, I do not wish to proceed with the answer. Can i get the fee so far refunded , or at least the latter part of it?Thank you.Howard Barnett
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I have no power to adjust payments, charges, etc. As a JustAnswer Expert I provide information in the technical areas of my expertise.

For all issues of billing, payment, subscription terms and status, etc., I must refer you to

Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

They will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness.

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Russell, I didn't see it there on the site, way down on bottom in sorta normal spot