Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

HP 6515 Photosmart printer. Can it be hooked by cable to one

Customer Question

HP 6515 Photosmart printer. Can it be hooked by cable to one computer and wireless to another laptop? There is no network that they are connected to.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the printer works fine connected to the desktop computer. We need it to also connect to the laptop. Thought this could be done using the wireless? No printer manuals, etc. around. Can the printer do both at the same time? Does the laptop need some type of wireless dongle thing like the mouse since it is not connected to a network.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Yes, it is possible to hook the printer to one computer with USB and also use wireless on another computer same time. Do you know your WiFi name and password ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is possible to hook the printer to one computer with USB and also use wireless on another computer same time. Your laptop should already have an wireless/WiFi chip/card, so you don't need to buy new dongle. It works with laptop's WiFi. But first you need to connect your printer to the WiFi network.

There are two ways to connect the printer to your WiFi network. One is by connecting to the WiFi on the printer itself and the other is by using your computer to setup Wireless on your printer.

Method 1 (on Printer itself):

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on.
  2. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .
    The Wireless Summary screen appears.
  3. Touch Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.
  4. Follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Method 2 (using your computer):

On your Laptop (for this, use laptop, connect the printer to your laptop with USB cable temporarily), then go to this website --> http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-6510-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---B2/5058334/model/5191793

Then download the printer software. Open the printer software and follow the onscreen instructions to install it. At the end of installation it will ask you to setup Wireless connection. Select it and continue on screen instructions to setup WiFi on printer. Once you did that, you can disconnect the USB cable and connect the printer to your PC. Then you can print from your laptop via WiFi.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will continue to help you.