Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have installed a brand-new Canon PG BK Inc. cartridge but

Customer Question

I have installed a brand-new Canon PG BK Inc. cartridge but the computer keeps telling me that it is incorrectly installed. I have reinstalled it a dozen times but keep getting the same message. This is only the third time that I have replaced ink cartridges I am at a loss as to what to try next. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you using genuine canon inks or a generic/refilled cartridge?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That particular cartridge is a genuine Canon cartridge
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I do not wish to pay $26 for a for a secure connect
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

You do not need to, that is an optional feature.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did everything you suggested three times absolutely no success.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Nathan are you getting my response? It didn't work
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Your reply just came through, sorry for any delay,

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately the persistence of this indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into its maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one further step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. For one thing this is only the third time that I have had to replace ink cartridges I do not use this printer that much and I bought the printer directly from canon. It certainly should not have worn out and the time it takes to use up two ink cartridges.Secondly, your advertisement says if not satisfied with this call you do not have to pay the entire $16. I certainly am not satisfied. So keep the six dollars you have deducted from my card and consider this transaction complete.
Respectfully,
Richard Wallace
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hi Richard, I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, however this type of hardware failure is common with these printers and can happen regardless of age or use. With inkjets, infrequent use is actually detrimental to them, as if they sit idle for any amount of time (more than a week) they clog, overheat, and fail in exactly this manner.

If less than a year old, you're under the canon warranty and can file a claim with them to have it replaced.

Regarding the ad, that is in relation to satisfaction with the quality and accuracy of the answer, and the service provided by me, it unfortunately can't guarantee a fix in all cases, and in instances such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you practical advise for how to proceed, ie replace vs repair, etc.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Best regards,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Richard?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was not satisfied with your responses. Replacing that printer was not the proper answer and was not necessary. I took the printer into a local technician and I don't know what he did but he only charged me $15 and it works fine. So as far as I'm concerned your responses were incorrect and I do not feel that I should have to pay you anymore than my original six dollars.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

I did tell you, specifically, that there was a cleaning/reset process we could attempt, if you wished to do so. Replacing the printer was an alternative or subsequent step to that. You did not show any interest in that and instead only indicated you weren't satisfied. If you wanted to continue on I would have been happy to guide you through that process.

I have no control over any billing matters, as again I'm an independent tech spending my own personal time here trying to help you, where the intent was to continue the conversation, had you not opted instead to seek help elsewhere. If you'd like though you may complete the rating step (the 5 stars at the top of the page), where you are rating me personally and my attempts to help you, then I can after that ask the customer service folks here to adjust the fee accordingly. (note: a 1 or 2 rating only punishes me for trying to help you, and still charges you the full amount).

Best regards,