Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My canon mx870 was printing from my windows 7 machine when

Customer Question

Hi!
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my canon mx870 was printing from my windows 7 machine when it stopped and displayed error b200 and said to contact service center.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: after powering the machine off and on, still same message. then unplugged and held on off switch down for 1 min still same message. then opened the printer and powered it up, machine appered normal and aid said printer open. when i closed it same mesage
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Printer Technician responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,