Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a HP Officejet 6812. The printe4 tells me there is a

Customer Question

I have a HP Officejet 6812. The printe4 tells me there is a problem with the printhead and will not print. Can you help resolve the problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. These printers are designed for a maximum 3 year service life, but often don't even last that long, so this type of failure is not surprising.

Unfortunately this model is discontinued and not even serviced/supported by hp any longer.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

If you have had it for less than a year, you can file a warranty claim to have hp replace it.

If beyond the warranty period, while it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I bought this printer less than a year ago. I would like for HP to replace it free of any expense to me. Tell me how to proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Even under warranty, it would not be completely free, HP would require you to ship it to them typically at your expense.

You will need to have your receipt/invoice for the original purchase, and then call(###) ###-####to file a warranty claim, they will provide instructions on exactly what is needed and how to go about it.

If their costs/procedures are too cumbersome and you prefer to replace it on your own, I'd be happy to advise on some better quality replacement options.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Did you need more help with this?