Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I have a Brother MFC 970 CW ....we are now on broadband....I

Customer Question

I have a Brother MFC 970 CW ....we are now on broadband....I have a computer with Windows 7 can I use the printer in a wireless situation...I am struggling to get the printer to connect to the modem ....modem is new because of the broadband.
Can you help....the printer is 5 yrs old...laptop is 3 years old...I am 68 yrs old...do you see my problem, we have an age problem, can you help.
Cheers Peter (Adelaide South Australia)
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is it currently printing fine via USB cable connection?

Can you please confirm the exact model of your Brother printer, such as MFC-9970CDW?

Is there any error or message when connecting to your wireless network name on the printer's screen?

Which step are you stuck at from the instructions?

What happens when you install the printer's driver / software cd disk or download?

What's the brand / model of your new modem?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

For the Brother printer model MFC-9970CDW, please try the following (if it's a different printer model, please let me know):

STEP 1: If possible, please do the following on the printer device:

- Disconnect printer's USB cable from printer and computer.

- On the printer, press the MENU button, then use up /down buttons to select Network option, then option WLAN, then option Setup Wizard, then if prompted "WLAN Enable?", then select On. Then select / connect to your wifi / wireless network name. Please click on the website below for full detailed instructions:

http://i.imgur.com/0OVhyC9.jpg

; Note: wi-fi / wireless password ***** key, if any, is case-sensitive.

STEP 2:

- Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Center, then if it shows Public network or Work network, then click on option Home network.

STEP 3:

- Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Programs / Programs and Features, and uninstall the Brother... program, if it's there

, then restart the computer, then download and install the Full Driver & Software Package at the Brother website below:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=au&lang=en&prod=mfc9970cdw_all&os=93&dlid=dlf004582_000&flang=4&type3=11

, during installation, make sure to select the option Wireless Network Connection when prompted.

- If needed, please click on the Brother website below for another solution:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=au&lang=en&prod=mfc9970cdw_all&faqid=faq00002794_002

- If it does not work, or if it's a different model, please let me know.

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.