Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer
Experience:  Sr System Administrator at General Dynamics
92043526

Epson work force 630. Every time I send a fax it getrs thje

Customer Question

Epson work force 630. Every time I send a fax it getrs thje dial tone ,ringing tone and after a few rionging tones a funny noice appears and then in the screen tells you either no answer or gets a busy signal. IOt worked fine until 2 days ago for a long time. I thought it was the phone lione, AT&T cam,e and they said that my setting were of ECM that was compatible with Atlanmtic Broadband but not with AT&T which uses VOIP. I switched to AT&T 2 months ago and didn`t have any problems before so I don`t understand their reasoning. Still I can`t send faxes out however I do get faxes. Inm one of the reports of a fax I sent oit shows Power faiol. Can you help me please !!!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Harold Hanna replied 9 months ago.

Hello Raul, have you tried to send to different fax machines?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
to companies in New York and companies in Los Angeles to different faxes and I get the same.
How do you connect to my fax and what if nothing is fixed ?

The remote support is an automated message I do not believe it is applicable in this case.

When AT&T came out and discussed their changing phone types did they mention specifically when it was going to change?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is no way you can fix my problem with my fax

I can't remote into it if that is what you are asking, but we can still attempt to narrow down the problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, but my fax was working fine for 2 months after the change of service

Let me look up the manual for your fax machine give me a moment please.

OK I found something we can try, but it is not guaranteed to work. The manual also specifically states there is no guarantee VOIP will work with this fax machine.

Press the Fax button, then Menu, and then scroll to Communication.
Set both V.34 and ECM to Off.

Then press Menu when you are finished. Restart the fax machine and try to send the fax again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got same results, starts fine , then gets into that weird noise and then a busy signal

Epson WorkForce 630 All-in-One Printer

Q: I'm having trouble sending or receiving faxes over a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phone line. Why?

A: Because fax machines are designed to work over standard analog telephone lines, Epson does not guarantee that fax transmission will work over VoIP phone lines. (VoIP uses a compression algorithm that can corrupt fax transmission.) Examples of VoIP or companies that provide VoIP service are Vonage, MagicJack, Comcast, Verizon, Phone Power, AT&T, Cox, and Charter.

I'm not sure why it worked before but they may have just changed something on their end. It is on AT&T though to resolve this and it sounds like the guys who came out took the easy way out. I would call them back and say you don't need a technician you need someone to change the type of phone connection you are using.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Raul. I will do that

I wish I could have assisted more but there isn't anything I can do from here it will have to be fixed by AT&T. If you appreciated my assistance please rate me! Have a great evening!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to assist you.