Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My name is mick the problem I have is I have canon maxify

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** problem I have is I have canon maxify mb2050 have a code B508 have tried every thing I can have googl
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have googled canon and done every thing it says but still no luck
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Mick.

Could you please recheck, as that is not a valid error code. Is it perhaps B200, or 5B00?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the printer is a canon maxify model mb 2050 the code that keeps showing on printer is B504
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It was the error I needed, thank you.

Any of the codes in this series/format are pertaining to a purge system failure.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 2 year old model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has failed, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My printer is less than 2 years old plus I have large stock of refills so would like to try fixing the problem my self
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I understand this is a newer model, Mick, however once the 1 year warranty is past, they are generally not worth salvaging.

While you could potentially get the unit open to remove the pad, you would still have to take it in for service, as the counter has to be reset and the only way to do that is with special software only available to canon repair shops.

It would still be less costly to replace the printer entirely, even with the same model: http://amzn.to/24DAS3i

than it would be to take it in for service just to be reset.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did you need more help with this, Mick? I can help you find a service center to have your counter reset, if you'd like to do that.