Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My HP officejet 6000 printer is not working. The yellow

Customer Question

My HP officejet 6000 printer is not working. The yellow light next to power button is blinking and the printer makes a weird sound. I've tried unplugging but no luck
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tried checking the paper and no jam there. It make a weird "bumping" sound different from normal, and will not print
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

It sounds like the carriage inside the machine is obstructed by something. That, or it came off its " track"

Try this. Open the machine like you are going to change the ink tanks.

Now, unplug the machine from power, wait ten seconds then plug it back in.

Watch the carriage, does it move at all?

Also, look on all sides of the carriage.. Do you see any debris, paper, broken plastic pieces, or anything at all that looks like its obstructing the normal movement of the carriage?

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok tried that but the carriage didn't move over. It tried but I didn't see any obstruction
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Understood.

Its definitely stuck.. Lets try the following.. And be careful~

Open the printer, unplug the machine and then plug it back in and when you here it making a noise try to grab the carriage and pull it to the left..

It may simply be off track and need a "nudge or tug" to get it moving again or put the motor back on track.

Or, it may be that the motor / belt has broke and thats why it cant move the carriage.

So the question is, can you move it by hand.. And if you can get it moving by hand and then you turn it off and on.. Can the machine move it left to right normally?

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I actually already tried moving the carriage by hand both while unplugged and plugged in--no luck. It seems to be completely jammed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

In that case, theres only one way to figure out what has the carriage stuck.. You have to open up the printer as shown on this page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjqHFN-da8M

once you get the top cover off so you can see the entire rail system left to right. You should be able to feel around and figure out what has the carriage stuck. Once you remove the obstruction or lift the carriage back into gear or back onto its track.. Then you should be good to go.

Granted, this isnt the easiest repair to carry out. But its not the most difficult either as its mainly just screws you need to remove.

With that being said.. Its either open it up and fix it or replace it. While Im not a fan of the square look of the newer models, they are priced a bit more reasonably http://amzn.to/21lbMqX

Dustin S.