WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician
21171802

B200 error message. Asks me to unplug printer and call

Customer Question

B200 error message. Asks me to unplug printer and call Canon. I have an MG5300 PIXMA printer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help with the issue.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

The B200 error is showing up due to a malfunctioned printhead.

Once thing you can try is to remove the ink cartridges, unplug the printer power for 5 minutes, plug back in, then re-insert the ink cartridges. If the error goes away, then the ink cartridges just needed to be re-seated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Decided NOT to pursue this any further. Thank you for attempting to help. Please note that I will not pay any fee for this service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm that I will not be charged for contacting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anybody there???
Once again, please note that I DO NOT agree to any payment for the non-solution of my problem. Please confirm.