Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

The carriage is stuck on my HP Photosmart Plus b209a

Customer Question

The carriage is stuck on my HP Photosmart Plus b209a printer. I have tried all the fixes. The carriage will not move out of the hole. I bought a star screw driver set and have begun to take off the top to see if I could get at it with more than a finger but it won't lift far enough. However there are some screws at the back of the scanner screen I cannot get to. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The screen tells me two things. Clear paper jam (there is none I can get to), and the Carriage is stuck inside and will not come out. I cannot push it out either..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

Have you checked all access doors? You may need to continue unscrewing until you can unjam it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are no access doors open. I need to know how to get the top off from above the ink carriage so I can look down in there to see WHY the carriage will not move! Again. The carriage will NOT move by hand. I have tried all the fixes. I have a #10 Star screwdriver. I have already gotten the four front screws out. I can only lift the top panel an inch at an angle. I need to know HOW to remove the screws at the rear of the panel that are still holding. One I can see. It is also holding on the hinge that allows the scanner lid to be opened to get at the Ink. I cannot get the screwdriver into that space. The other screw is masked by a piece of plastic that is part of the top that lifts up with the scanner. I know it MUST be able to be accessed to put it together, but I do not know how. I NEED to know HOW to access the two remaining screws.
I am sorry, but so far you have been no help at all.
Expert:  Tim replied 9 months ago.

ok, thanks . I was asking you more questions so i had more info to help. I'll go ahead and opt out since you don't like working with me. Good luck!

Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

can you send me a picture of what you are having an issue with ?

i suspect that you might have to get under the scanner glass to get to the other side of the screws but i would probably need some good pictures to see what is stopping it.

to be honest the entire printer can be replaced for under $100 its probably not worth going to the lengths you are going to fix it