John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Cannon PIXMA 490 printer that suddenly is skipping

Customer Question

I have a Cannon PIXMA 490 printer that suddenly is skipping pages as it prints. It will not print the entire document as entered.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with your question today. I am John, I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.

Can you upload a picture to understand better how is it printing?

Also, are you using genuine Canon cartridges? Or generic/refilled ones?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am using genuine Cannon ink cartridges. I can not take a picture. If i send a document with 6 pages to print, my printer will print every other page.
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

If you send a document with 6 pages, it will print pages 1, 3 and 5 only? or 2, 4 and 6?

Also, what's your operative system version?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The operating system on my set up disk for the printer is U 1.2. Some times it prints only 1, 4, and 6. Other times it will skip 2 or more pages and print 1and 4. When I preview what will print in the print box it shows only 3 out of 6 pages. I tried to print another document that is 12 pages long. In the print box it shows only 6 pages to be printed instead of 12. When I printed it, only 6 pages were printed. Pages 2,4,6,8,10 and 12 did not print.
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

OK. What's your OS version? Go to whatsmyos.com to find out

I want to reload your driver. Let me know the OS and I will send you a step by step procedure.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a Mac and its OS is 10.6.8
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Hello, please delete the printer going to apple icon, System Preferences, Printers.

Then go here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp490

And choose Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, then download the "MP490 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 11.7.1.0 (OS X 10.5/10.6)"

After you download it, please install it and restart your Mac. Then try to print again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been away and finally got a chance to follow your directions deleting my printer. I followed them to the letter and downloaded the new drivers for my printer. When I went went to System preferences to add the printer, I clicked on the + ADD sign and the Add Printer box came up but no printer is listed. I now do not have a printer. Your solution to my problem apparently did not solve the problem and I am out of a printer for work.