Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience Computers, Electronics, and Printers - HP, Canon, Xerox, Ricoh, Lexmark, Oki, Ghestner, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp
23511658

I'm Mike. When sending a fax I always get error 220 unless

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Mike. When sending a fax I always get error 220 unless I switch V.34 off, but then I hear no dialling and don't know whether the fax was sent...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Your question is in the Printers category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

My printer is Epson WP-4525 (four in one). The problem is that (1) only the printer appears in "Devices and Printers" while previously it appeared twice: Epson WP-4525 and Epson WP-4525 (FAX), so I can't send a fax via Print in MSWord as I used to do before. (2) When I send a fax directly from the printer, I either get Communication error 220 when V.34 is ON, or error b27 when V.34 is OFF and a printout that 0 pages were sent.

What I would do is turn off ECM and leave v.34 off. With the error correction protocols off, it will still send the fax even if the line is noisy.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Tried that and now the console shows "fax sent", but on the printed output I get:

Duration - 00:00

Pages - 0

Result - OK

That's really odd. Try sending one to 1-800-HP-FAXME. That is a known good fax number.Those results on the report don't really make sense. Is there any way of contacting the receiving party to see if their fax machine picked up and tried to receive?
Have you every been able to send a fax on this line before? Is it possible that the line is a VOIP line?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

1. I don't know how to dial letters, so 1800HPFAXME comes out as 1800447333299633...?

2. I sent this particular fax, which was urgent, from a friend's machine and the receiving party got it.

3. Yes, I have been able to fax on this line before.

4. No, it is not a VoIP line.

It's the corresponding letters on the phone buttons.1-***-***-****I don't want to know if they received it from a different fax machine - we want to know if they received it from your fax machine when you sent it.Mike
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok got it. But why 1-888 instead of 1-800? or is it a typo?

I must have made a mistake.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The number is ***** occupied so not much help. Anyway I tried to send a fax to several other numbers - again the fax monitor shows 'dialing' for a couple of minutes, then 'fax sent' (it doesn't show 'sending page #' as it used to), but the printout shows Duration: 00:00, Pages: 0, Result: OK, and the recipient doesn't get anything.

The entire number, to clarify, is:1-***-***-****That phone number will never come up busy. It will always answer with a fax tone - but it's possible that it doesn't work outside of the USThe symptoms are very unusual. There must be something that is different in your connection or your phone.Are you able to receive a fax properly?Are you certain that this fax machine has successfully sent faxes on this line before?