Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have an HP envy. I tried to use it second time just now.

Customer Question

I have an HP envy. I tried to use it for the second time just now. It refuses to print, displaying on screen to put paper in tray. Well, there's plenty of paper. I pulled the tray out, put it back in several times, took the paper out, put some (tried more and less) back in. It just won't work.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the printer quit working right that soon, it's reasonable to suspect that it is defective-from-vendor-or-store, and should be returned for an exchange, promptly, before the return-exchange period of the vendor or store runs out (if it has not done so already. In that case, a warranty claim put in to HP would be reasonable.)

However, some things might be checked before coming to that conclusion.

1: is it just a 'glitch', a temporary fault? to check, simply turn the printer Off and leave it that way for several hours or overnight. Then try it again. (Having, in the meantime, shut down or restarted the computer you are printing from, at least once. And try a different print job, and/or from a different program on your computer.)

2: is the paper size, in your computer's printer driver setting, set wrongly? if so, then a paper-out message may happen. That's if the size of paper set in the computer's driver for the printer, or in the print settings of the program, is a size of paper that causes the printer to look elsewhere than the main paper source / paper tray, for that size of paper.

For instance, in some printers there is a 'manual feed' slot or tray, where single (or very few) sheets of paper of special size are fed into the printer to print upon. If you specify a size of paper that is not in the main paper tray of the printer, it may look to the manual feed slot for the right size of paper. And if there is no paper there, it will complain there is no paper - to the reasonable puzzlement of those who do not know of this odd fallback behavior.

So: try a rest-reset of the printer overnight.

And, try putting paper of the size you are trying to print upon, in *every* place the printer could look for paper to print upon.

After which, if the problem is persistent, your printer is defective, and the recourses (return to store, or turn in to HP for warranty repair) that I have previously mentioned, are appropriate in that case.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I purchased the printer on e-bay, so no where to return it. It worked perfectly the first time. Thanks for nothing.
Already tried everything you said.

Actually, some eBay sellers can be told that their product has proven defective. But as you said, it worked the first time it was tried after you received it.

What was the first printout that worked OK? on what sort of paper, from what computer, from what program on that computer, what sort of file?

Can you

1. go to the print queue (for the HP Envy printer) on your computer, and clear it if there is any print job stopped in it... and then,

2. duplicate that first print job, and try sending it to the printer ?

- If that printout works, then the second (third etc.) printout had something wrong with it.

- If that printout doesn't work, let me know whether the symptoms / error shown, changes at all.

Thanks.