Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I put a new oki 3641 drum in my intek xp2020. It now a"

Customer Question

I put a new oki 3641 drum in my intek xp2020. It now a " check cyan drum error. My Intek Tech says the machine is now toast. He says the 3641 drum is for 125 V and the 2020 is 250 volts.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you used a wrong part, with a different voltage 'family' or nation specification, it is possible that some damage has occurred.

In this case, a USA-rated drum, used in a 250 Volt (??? in Canada??? more likely in Australia or other countries, I think. Canada's power is the same as USA's in the cases I've heard of.).... context, would have too low an internal resistance, and might 'burn out' interface circuitry to the drum, if there is any interface circuitry to the drum in this printer.

(Which I admit I am not sure of. Please look on the 3641 drum for me, and see whether there are any copper-colored or metallic contacts on it... if so, that's where interface circuitry would connect in the printer and there should be corresponding contacts in the machine. But, I would be somewhat surprised if there were any such. So that's why I'm asking you to examine it.)

(Note: a grounding contact here and there doesn't really count. If there is circuitry involved, the contacts will be quite close together on the drum.)

So... if the drum you put in by mistake has no contacts on it, that is probably not the cause of the problem.

Was the drum you put in a cyan drum, and put in the cyan drum's slot? if not... well, that raises more matter for discussion.