Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

How do i inrall a printer

Customer Question

how do i inrall a printer
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Joel. Thank you for your question. I can help you resolve your problem. What is the make and model of your device?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
epson xp 420
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i nneed help intalling a printer on a samsung chromebook, do youwant infront of printer or computer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ineed help installing an epson xp 420 on my samsung chrome book
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Hi. I got it. You can download and install the printer drivers from the Epson website. I will give you the link. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
google
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Right. The installation works differently on a ChromeBook.

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Please standby...

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

I am resarching your issue right now. I will have an answer for you in about 10 minutes. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my cell is charging so don't call me
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

I was not going to call you. Live phone calls are an additional service.

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Okay. We need to install your printer using Google Cloud Print. Launch Google the Chrome browser and click on the Menu button in the top right corner of the browser window. Select Settings and then select the Show Advanced Settings link at the bottom of the window. Please let me know when you have done this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay i did that
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Good. Do you have a gmail account? Are you signed into the browser with your gmail account?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have a gmail account. I don't know if I'm signed with that account or not. It's all automatic. I think I am
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Does your browser show your name in the top right corner, or does it say Sign In?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i do not have to sign in
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

I guess that is because you registered the ChromeBook with your gmail address when you first set it up. Does you gmail address show up in the top right corner of the browser window?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i really don't know never paid attention
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Okay. Never mind that. Go to the Cloud Print section of the Advanced Settings and please tell me if there is a Sign In To Google Print button.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is google print servies. with manage option
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

If there is not a sign in button, just select the Manage button under Google Cloud Print.

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Then select the Add Printer button and select Epson as the manufacturer and xp420 as the model.

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i'm here i eas searching for the add printer buttoncan't find it
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

What do you see when you select the Manage button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my old printer listed. listed with a manage button click that nothing happened.i thought it might show me ho to delete that printer or replce it no luck
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

You can highlight the old printer and select the Delete button near the top of the window.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay i'll try that might take me a few minutes to get back to you
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

After you delete the old printer, you need to go to your new printer and use the control panel to connect it to your wireless network.

Do you know your network name (SSID) and password (Network Security Key)? Your printer should show your network name and allow you to enter the password. Then your printer should show up in your browser in the last window that you have been working in, where you deleted the old printer. But you still have to find the Add Printer button and select it to add the printer that your ChromeBook sees on the wireless network.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
okay i think i deleted the old printer then found add new printer button push that got the same list with my new printer listed but noad or install button
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Good. Did you connect your new printer using the menus on the control panel?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where's the control panel?
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Do you see a red Print button under the Google Cloud Print window title at the top left area of the window?

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

The control panel is on the side of the Epson XP420 printer. It has an LCD display screen and a set of up-down and left-right navigation arrows surrounding a select button.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no i don't see a ggogle cloud
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no i don't see a gogle cloud
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

We ate talking about two separate things now: (1) the Print button in your Chrome browser window, and (2) the control panel on your printer. Do you see either of those?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i can see the prit button on the browser.when i push that there is know add printer no add devices
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

When you select the Print button in the browser, does a little pop-up window show two ways to print: Upload File to Print and Other Ways to Print? That is what shows on my Chrome browser. My printer is listed next to that Print button.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i think i'm confused. i don't see a red print button i go to the control panel to print
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

What control panel are you talking about? On the computer or on the printer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
on the computer
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Okay. Do you see you printer listed on your computer? Where is it listed? On the computer control panel or in the browser window?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no there is no printer lidted when i hit the print so i guess i did delete my old one
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

We need to get your new printer listed. I thought you said that it showed up in your browser.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i thought it was the list included xp420
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

What list are you talking about. Wass there more than one printer in the list?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
plrnty of them. i hit epson first and a huge list comes up then i scroll down until i find xp420
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Did you select the xp420, and were you able to add the printer from the list?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i can't find an add printer button
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Okay then. Let's forget about trying to add the printer from that list of printers on the computer. Instead, we are going to connect the printer from the printer control panel, the menu display screen and the navigate and select buttons on the Epson XP420. You need to find a menu on the display screen to connect to your wireless network.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am connected to the wireless.on for computer . printer is not turned on
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Turn on the printer. I know that the computer is connected to the wireless network. Now the printer must be connected to the wireless network, so that the computer can find the printer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
printer on
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Good. Now use the menus on the printer. Find a wireless menu and select it. Then look for your network name and select it. Then enter the password ***** your wireless network.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have already done that. done the test print it tells me my printer is not connected to computer
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

I have the manual, and I will give you the exact menus to use. The first menu is the WiFi Setup Wizard.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i did that.too my printer is connected to wifi but not to computer
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

When you say that you have already done that, what exactly are you saying that you have already done.

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Have you actually found your wifi network on your printer display screen and entered the password ***** the arrow keys to select the letters and numbers on the on-screen menu? And has your printer accepted the password ***** displayed the status as Connected?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
gone to wifi wizzard.my printer came with an installation disc but i'm using a laptop so disc does't mean anything
yes my printer is all setup
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Does your printer SHOW that it is CONNECTED?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
to wi fi yes to computer no
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Okay, Now go back to the Chrome browser again. Let's repeat what we did, now that the printer is online. Go to the Settings menu and select Show Advanced Settings. Then, under Google Cloud Print select the Manage button.

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Here is a picture of the screen that you should see now:

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Are you following this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i did all that says to register printer. i thought i had already done that when i push rgister. nothing happens
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

Where does this Register button appear? Is your printer listed on the screen alone as the only printer to be registered? or are you talking about the list of all Epson printers?

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

I do not have a ChromeBook. I only have a Chrome browser on my Windows laptop. I cannot tell exactly what you are looking at or what you are doing unless you tell me, and you are not giving me enough details. I am going to have to opt out. You need to install your printer into your ChromeBook through the Chrome bowser. When I use the term Install, I mean basically the same as when you use the term Register. Apparently, my Chrome browser does not use the same terminology as your ChromeBook. I cannot help you any more then that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my printer is listed the only one
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

And, I'd like to start over, and pursue the matter quite simply:

1. I assume you have a Chromebook, and a printer too, that you want to have working with each other so you can print from the Chromebook to the printer.

I have to ask:

- What is the maker, and the model #, of the printer, please? (Some printers cannot be configured to print from Chromebook, except by roundabout ways.)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
forget it problem solved

It should be solved, since it is easy enough: register your printer with Google Cloud after connecting it to the internet, if it's of the right model for such an approach (if it's Cloud-compatible, basically), then register it with your Chromebook and your Google Cloud account.

I'm glad to hear it's solved, by whatever means - there are some more cumbersome approaches to the problem, of course.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com.