Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Canon MG 8120 and got a message that the ink

Customer Question

I have a Canon MG 8120 and got a message that the ink containers that catch overf low are full. I cleaned all the the containers and washed foam rubber in hot soapy water and rinsed until they were clean. I am still get a message to service printer. Is there a reset I need to do to clear error?????
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Ralph.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc. You've already gone further than most by doing the cleaning process, and following that the purge counter would have to be reset. This task is best left to a qualified service technician - you cannot do it yourself as it isn't just a few simple buttons, it requires a special service software that is only available to authorized repair facilities. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer.

This is a 6 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon. This printer has already served double its designed life, and greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. Even just to have it reset will cost you $100+ as a minimum labor charge at most shops.

You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.