Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

Epson WF-7510 sending error to iMac OS X 10.11.3 that reads:

Customer Question

Epson WF-7510 sending error to iMac OS X 10.11.3 that reads: "Communication error. Make sure the computer is connected, then try again."
Have turned everything on/off, re-started, unplugged/re-plugged etc.
Have updated all software and downloaded what I believe to be the correct drivers for printer and scanner.
Advice?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please try the following and let me know the response you are getting.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shefin, Unfortunately that did not work. I even tried to re-boot everything after the printer reset. No go. Plan B?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

How do you connect the printer to the computer? Using USB cable?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
USB cable (which I have checked and unplugged/plugged back in) and the printer is also WiFi enabled which I occasionally use from my iPad or laptop.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Use one at a time. USB or Wireless. Disable wireless and use USB only. Try adding the printer again and check if the computer detects the printer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I disable the Wireless and why should I have to?? Seems they should be available to operate alternately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not find your answer to my question: How do I disable the Wireless and why can't they operate as alternately requested.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

You can use wireless and USB at the same time.

Are you able to detect the printer while adding the printer?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can detect the printer. Just went through another reset too. Still same problem.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

If you can detect the printer, try the following.

Please go to the link given below, download and install the update.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1792?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Note : Please make sure that you are installing the update after downloading it. It is a big file, so it may take some time to get it downloaded.

Then, try resetting the printing system once again and add the printer again. Then, print anything and let me know the response.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can print but I can't scan.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Try scanning using ImageCapture.

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/how-to-scan-in-os-x-using-image-capture/

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even after I just printed a document, the printer gave an alert and the same error message immediately after the document printed.I just updated my iMac to OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan the other day-- I did not see that version listed on the driver software you just had me install.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

May I kn ow the exact error you are getting?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same error as always: "Communication error. Make sure the computer is connected, then try again."My system does not even have "IMAGE CAPTURE" as an application. Do I suddenly need a new app to scan after 5 years using the Epson driver software to scan and print??
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a different USB cable to try with?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It prints fine using this USB cable, why would scanning be any different?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried scanning using Epson Scan or the scan option that you see on the Printers & Scanners window?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that worked at first and then it just started scanning and re-scanning the image over and over and saving the image over and over thru like version 8 and yet it would never save the scan to the desktop as requested.I am deleting everything Epson out of my HD library and starting over. Be back in a bit.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Please go to the link below, download and install ICA scanner driver for Image Capture. Also, try Scanner Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v4.0.1.0

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=183584&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X11

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Done. (Tried that earlier today with no success.) What now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried clicking on the SCAN button in the Printers & Scanners window out of System Preferences and tried to scan again from the SCANNER window and the image came up and it acted like it was scanning it but then gave the alert noise and error message while at the same time on the SCANNER preview screen a small group of blue image capture dots appeared in a tight cluster. I am not able to pull them around to the perimeter of the document I am trying to scan.This should not be this hard. I think it is an El Capitan upgrade issue. Is the driver for the WF-7510 scanning operation compatible with OS X El Capitain v. 10.11.3?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked in the HD for the Epson Software folder and found an app called "EPSON Scan.app" when I clicked on it there is a window that says " EPSON WF-7510 The scanner is assigned to ImageCapture. Do you want to use the scanner with TWAIN? Yes or No" I don't know what TWAIN is but should I try it?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

I have just provided link to download latest drivers for your printer. Please download and install it.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done all that twice now... going in circles-- for how long now??
Please give me a step by step process for starting all over again. I am going to shut down my computer and my printer.
Be back with you in a bit.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

After restarting, try resetting the printing system and adding the printer again.

Then, let me know the exact error and message you are getting while trying to scan.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going in circles.... do you want to hand me off to someone else.
This is taking too long with no results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I just now deleted the printer and clicked + to re-add it back, a new window popped up with the option to add four different "default" printers:EPSON WF-7510 Series Bonjour Multifunction
EPSON WF-7510 Series USB Multifunction
FAX EPSON WF-7510 Series (IP) EPSON FAX
FAX WF-7510 Series (USB) EPSON FAXWhich one of those should I choose.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

First add EPSON WF-7510 Series USB Multifunction, and try printing and scanning using USB cable.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same story.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Can you let me know the exact error and message you are getting while trying to scan.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe we should start from scratch and begin with a list of step-by-step instructions of what to first delete and then what to re-install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's always the very same message: "Communication error. Make sure the computer is connected, then try again."
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Instead of USB, can you try adding EPSON WF-7510 Series Bonjour Multifunction and make it as default?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried that. I don't think we are going to be able to resolve this.
Have invested too much time this morning with no progress whatsoever.
I would like to have my payment refunded.Thank you though.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Please contact our customer support to get a refund.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thank you.

S H E F I N