Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I had a problem with my CP105b similar to Graham's of 7

Customer Question

I had a problem with my CP105b similar to Graham's of 7 months ago, then it developed a series of other symptoms. Originally, after printing a few pages of text, the black image was repeating a couple of inches below. Next, black printed very light with text, but normal in images. Next, most of the the black toner would not fuse to the paper. Finally, the printer just shows the orange ! warning light and won't print at all. I have checked consulted the User Guide, used the print head cleaning rod, cleaned the Color Toner Density sensor and even partially dismantled it to replace the fusing unit -- all to no avail. Still the flashing orange ! warning. Because it is an "old" model, the local Fuji Xerox agent no longer accepts the CP105b for maintenance. So, either I have to fix it myself or junk it and waste the dozen toner cartridges I still have. I have a replacement drum, but don't know how to further disassemble the printer to replace it - or indeed whether that is the real problem. Grateful for any ideas you may have.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the black toner was not fusing to the paper, but the color toner was doing just fine, then you didn't and do not have, a fuser problem.

What you would have in such a case, is a toner problem. Specifically (I suspect) the black toner might be a cheap refill, and the toner the cartridge for the black color was refilled with, might be sub-standard toner powder, and not formulated to fuse properly at the CP105b fuser's usual temperature range.

As for a black image repeating... the reason for that problem is uncertain at this point. But, it could possibly be caused by substandard toner, as well as other things.

Also, look on your settings: in the

Output Format

tab, make sure that the

Repeat Image

setting is

Off.

Repeating images may also be related to problems with 'doctor blade' or 'scraper blade' function, and also may indicate voltage supply problems, spilled toner on contacts, etc.

As for the orange warning light... you have to replace that cartridge (black) anyway. Also try pressing buttons on the panel, esp. the Cancel button if there is one.

In short, some of the problems you report may be owing to use of different (and/or refill, and/or substandard) toner for the black color. But there may be other problems... let me know what you think, and I will advise you further as appropriate to the actual details of the situation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already tried replacing the toner cartridge. I have also changed the circuit board. These did not solve the problem. The orange ! light remained on and the printer still wouldn't print anything. Do the multiple symptoms suggest a progressive deterioration of some component (possibly electronic?).

Given that the toner is not a refill, yes, you could have (for instance) a power supply (or, high voltage power supply) problem, progressively getting worse too.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you mean power supply inside the printer?

Yes, the power supply inside the printer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm afraid that is not very helpful and doesn't help me solve the problem.

If you had a service manual for this printer, it would enable you to test the printer's power supply and determine whether its voltage is sub-standard or marginal.

Would you consider that? as helpful. If so, I'll search for a source for one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Full services manual is not available from any sources I have been able to locate. I only have a partial manual which goes as far as to instruct how to dismantle the casing.

I have Opted Out, with apologies, having been unable, upon a search, to find servicing documentation myself. This opens the case to other Experts in this category.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Even though you were unable to identify the problem or come up with a solution, thank you for trying anyway. I think I will just junk the printer and buy a new one.

Your courtesy is appreciated. Thank you for bringing your question to us here at JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to return at any time, and as needed, to ask another question, in any one of our numerous categories.