Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a LaserJet CP1525nw color printer. It has been giving

Customer Question

I have a LaserJet CP1525nw color printer. It has been giving me a message "79 Error Turn off then on". When I do, it cycles as though it's gonna print, the repeats the error message. What's my problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Some say 79 Error means an error in the network printing, from some computer on the network that can access this printer. Does that fit the scenario, is your HP LaserJet a networked printer?

If so, go to the printer's queue on every computer, and remove all print jobs from every print queue. When all print queues are emptied, turn the printer Off, for 10+ minutes.

Then try it again. This may be enough to get it working again.

If not, let me know how it goes, and I will advise you further as appropriate. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My entire system consists of my PC and the single printer tied to the internet via a simple Netgear modem. My wife's PC and printer are tied to the internet wirelessly. My printer is connected solely to my PC. So, NO, I don't believe I would consider my system part of a network.I did your suggestion to turn off for 10 minutes. When I turned back on, the symptoms were the same. Error 79 reappeared.

To clarify your description and be sure of details: your printer is not connected directly to a network at all? or is it a Cloud printer perhaps?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Printer connected (hard wired) to one PC. I have no idea what a Cloud printer is.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Assuming that you are very familiar with my HP printer model... If I had been you, when I last replied to you, I would have tried to confirm that I did everything you told me - which I had NOT. You told me to "remove all print jobs from every print queue and turn the printer OFF for 10+ minutes. All I did was turn the printer OFF: I did not deal with the queue. When you didn't quickly respond, I re-read your note and THEN canceled all documents in the queue. That process then pointed me to the fact that my Black print cartridge was almost completely used up. I happen to have taken delivery of a new cartridge several weeks ago but have been waiting until the quality of the print diminished before I replaced it. Now I have, but something else is causing the printer to mal function. The note on the viewer tells me that the machine is Printing Document, with the green light flashing. It has been in this mode for over 15 minutes. I pressed the OK button, which ran me thru several things before it got back to Printing Document with green light flashing. Here's hoping that you now have as much information as you need to direct me to the final solution so I can print again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Appears you don't wanna chat anymore. No problem; I got it all figured out and the printer is functioning. Bye

Well, thank you for following my instructions at last. I really haven't got the power to follow my own instructions in this case, I have to offer advice to people remotely. You see how it is.

It's good to hear that (with my advice actually followed) the case has been solved. Thank you, ***** ***** rate my answer, so that this case may be closed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Interesting how the time markers at the top of the page can apparently be manipulated. I think I erased yesterday's entire dialog, but my memory tells me that the message you sent last night time stamped 8:20 was not as complete as the one you have included here today, time stamped 8:20 yesterday. No way I can prove my recall. If I had done yesterday what your included 8:20 message says to do, we wouldn't be exchanging this dialog. Oh well! See ya.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have given serious thought to our dialog and have concluded that it was MY screw up. My apologies for implying otherwise.

Your honesty is a great compliment to you, as is your courtesy. Believe me, it is appreciated, and your apology is definitely accepted.

If I have been of any use to your problem, in the last analysis, please rate my work, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.