Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have updated my Mac to El Capitan and it does not want to

Customer Question

I have updated my Mac to El Capitan and it does not want to "connect" to my Epson Stylus color 740. Can you help ?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There is a simple reason for that, I'm sorry to say. The page for drivers at

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=14422&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X6

does not show any driver issued from Epson for your printer model, since the 10.6.x version of MAC OS X.

There's no driver for it. (I also sought one for it in the Canada Epson website, and got the same lack of a result.)

What MAC OS X version did you have before the El Capitan upgrade? Was the printer working with that former version?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** that. The 740 Epson is a very old version, and although still very good, has been outdated!

If it were Windows, you could load an older version of the OS (or a simulation thereof) and then use the driver in that older version perhaps, to print to it still.

As it is... do you know about Parallels? that is a Windows simulator you can run on MAC OS X. It might allow you to install the old printer's driver - for Windows of the appropriate version - in Parallels, and then allow printing to it. That's my one suggestion that might work, for allowing you to still use the old printer with the El Capitan version of MAC OS X that is now on your computer.