Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an Epson WF-2630 printer, bought about one year ago.

Customer Question

I have an Epson WF-2630 printer, bought about one year ago. I am setting it up again after 18 months of non-use. Got questions:
#1. How do I access the inks, so I can replace with fresh inks?!?
#2. Any other actions I should take to get it back into top shape?
#3. I have an internet connection for my MacBookPro OS Yosemite (10.2.5 - I think). Are there any special instructions for connect my printer (wirelessly) to my computer and to the internet?
Thank you!
Peter **
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Peter.

Was the printer used initially? Or has it been new in the box all this time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bought 2/6/2015 and used for 3 months
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay, this may be problematic.

Inkjet printers like this are not designed for storage. They cannot site idle, even for a week, without a strong chance of permanent damage to the printhead.

When they go unused for long periods, the ink inside the nozzles drys out and clogs up the nozzles, then when you go to print the head overheats and fails.

We will need to address that to hopefully get it into shape first, before worrying about software or wifi.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Based on the age (purchase date) however, you may have recourse under the epson warranty, and as a next step I'd ask them to replace it for you by calling 800.go.epson.

If you want to try though, I'm happy to guide you through the steps, or recommend replacement options to pursue on your own.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, Nathan, thanks for this help - but I thought that we were going to talk on the phone - and I paid for that. I'll try the "clean print head" function and see what I get. But, what about my other problem and question?Problem - Skipped lines of copy on the copy made from the original - I don't think that that is an ink problemQuestion - Computer/printer/internet set up using a Mac-Book-Pro?Any help here?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

You didn't pay for the phone option actually,

I know you clicked on it, but as I mentioned, it did not go through. I sent you a new phone offer if you wish to talk that way.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It did go through - AMEX called me to verify about 10 minutes ago. I can see the charge on my AMEX card.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

That was just a preauth then, it didn't go through on my end.

I'm sorry for any confusion, but I can not call you until you click on the call offer I sent. You won't get double charged, but accepting that is the only way that you can then send me your contact information, and I can't call until I have that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, Nathan, let's call it a day. This has taken far too long to answer simple questions - which could have been done in 5-10 minutes over the phone. I'm in the midst of also prepping for a week long business trip starting later this afternoon. I'll come back to all of this when I return next week.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

I sent you all of the information in chat here as well.

I'm more than happy to talk by phone, but I unfortunately can't control how the site works or that there was initially a hold on your card.

If you wish to follow up later by phone, that is just fine. I have provided the initial information here (above) though.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.