Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My Canon Pixma MP620 has a code U052 which is says that the

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma MP620 has a code U052 which is says that the print head is incorrect. I bought a new one through cannon and replaced it and it still has the same code. how do I reset?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Daisy.

This is not something that can be reset.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

Since you have already replaced the head, that leaves the main logic board or the carriage pcb as the failure point.

The head (and board) is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. The printer has served well over double its designed life at this point and greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead (again), which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Your best recourse here is to return that new printhead, and start fresh with a new printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.