Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I need to fax on a hp Photosmart 5520
, i bought this

Customer Question

Customer: i need to fax on a hp Photosmart 5520
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i bought this printer because it was supposed to be all in one. but I don't see a fax icon?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, this is simply not possible. While the machine is advertised by HP as an "all in one", it is limited to copy/scan/print functions.

This machine lacks an internal fax modem and thus cannot send faxes on its own.

You can scan and then email an item however.

If this was a recent purchase and you need to scan, I'd strongly suggest returning it to the store and purchasing a more capable model. This is, overall, a poor quality (poorly rated) machine, so your needs would be better served by another device in the long run anyway.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.