JKalman
JKalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I just purchased a Canon MF8280CW Mac Computer. I 't have a

Customer Question

I just purchased a Canon MF8280CW for my Mac Computer. I don't have a CD drive to install the drivers and I am not wired to the internet, my husband's computer is the "home" computer. Can you help me contact this printer to my computer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Joel. Thank you for your question. I can help you resolve your problem. You need to have an internet connection to download the drivers for your printer. If you have a router, you can connect your mac computer to your local area network by on of two methods: Wirelessly or with an ethernet cable. If you do not have a router, you can disconnect your husband's ethernet cable and use it to temporarily connect your mac to the internet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have to set this new printer up to his computer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He currently has a Brother's printer and I can use it but I needed more features so I bought this printer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have an internet connection via WIFI. I can also connect via router.
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Okay then You said that your problem was that you were not "wired" to the internet. A wired connection would require two Ethernet cables, one connecting your printer to your router and another connecting your computer to your router. However, both connections can be made wirelessly, if you have a wireless router.

The first thing you must do is to go to your printer control panel and use the network menus to select your wireless network by name (SSID) and enter your password (Network Security Key) if it is protected network. I assume that you know your network name and that your are using your mac connected to your wifi network for this conversation.

Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Then select this link to download and install the drivers for your operating system from the Canon website: http://tinyurl.com/mf8280cwdrivers

After installation you can open the printer software on your computer and print a test page.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That won't work - I meant that I am not wired to the internet - I am wireless. My husband's computer is wired to the internet. He has a router on it so I can get on the internet. I think I have resolved this, but not sure yet - I'm working on it now.
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

You do not have to have a wired connection to use the download link. It does not matter how your husband is connected, ethernet or wireless. You can connect wirelessly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It won't connect for some reason. I think I'll have to connect with USB rather than wireless. I've followed the steps several times but cannot get it to connect.
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

You can have the convenience of wireless, but it requires two connections: Between your mac and your router and between your printer and your router. I can help your with this by establishing a remote desktop support session where I can take control of the computer and perform a proper installation for you, with your cooperation in operating the printer control panel. Please let me know if you want todo this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My computer does have a connection with the router. I can't seem to get the printer to connect to the router.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
MAC 's are a little harder to deal with (my opinion). I downloaded the software from Canon, but it wouldn't install it until I hooked up the printer to the computer via USB.
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

The problem is not with your mac. You need to use the control panel on the printer to connect the printer to the wireless network.

Expert:  JKalman replied 10 months ago.

You have to display the wireless network name (SSID) on the printer display and enter the wireless password (Network Security Key).