Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have an iP4920 printer. The printing is fine, but the time

Customer Question

I have an iP4920 printer. The printing is fine, but the time required for it to be ready to use after powering up seems to be about the same as the time required for a robot to build a brand new printer out of raw materials. Is there ANY way to speed this thing up? Thanks!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

The problem is, the printer building robot needs an upgrade to its firmware and software so it can build faster or recognize the raw materials needed more efficiently.

To solve that issue, wed also want to update the firmware of the printer. Unfortunately canon either hasnt released, or doesnt have any new firmware for the printer showing.

Other causes of the slow startup normally involve issues with auto alignment of the printhead, which happens when you start almost any inkjet printer. The alignment is noticeable by the sound it makes when the printer starts as the printhead moves back and forth. If its taking a long time to "idle" , its most likely the alignment and your printhead moving back and forth trying to register its boundaries and start point.

So, we have a couple of options here. Ill discuss the final option first since everything centers around the printhead.

Here is a replacement printhead. New. ( you never want a used one ) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RBNQL2

If you look at the picture of the printhead on that page. you can see traces of ink around the inlet holes on the printhead.. And sponges for each inlet hole. As a first step. lets remove all ink tanks from the printhead. Do you notice a lot of ink spillage? If so, its possible that one of the tanks has faulted and causing an extra amount of time for the printhead to register it properly on startup.

Foor good measure clean all the electrical contacts on each ink tank. And clean any electrical contacts on the printhead. And if theres an excess of ink inside the printhead around the inlet valves. You may want to clean it under hot running water , and then let the printhead thoroughly dry for a bit.

( Note that, your first few prints will be watered down, until the printer uses ink to push the water through and out of the printhead. Thats normal and to be expected )

If cleaning the printhead doesnt fix the issue. Theres really only two other options.

Replace the ink tanks. ( one at a time as it may only be one ink tank thats faulty)

Or replace the printhead entirely.

If you have further questions or concerns, youre welcome to reply.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.