Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience Computers, Electronics, and Printers - HP, Canon, Xerox, Ricoh, Lexmark, Oki, Ghestner, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp
23511658

I have an Epson XP 620. I bought sole purpose to print on

Customer Question

I have an Epson XP 620. I bought for the sole purpose to print on CDs. Worked great for a while but now my text will not print on the CD in black. Prints in other colors but not black. I have no problems printing in black text on document just when I print to the CD.
Please help me if you can.
***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Michael.Do you need additional information from me?

Do you have the printer set to print in black/greyscale for the CD? There is a difference in printing in black/greyscale vs printing black while rendering in color, and this setting will determine which you are doing. If you are set to print in black/greyscale for the CD, but your black cartridge is not working correctly, then you will see nothing when it prints. However, if you are printing with normal settings on paper, and you happen to be printing black text, it will use the color cartridges to create a composite black. You can test to see if this is the issue by printing on the CD in color (but only composing black text to print on it). If that works, but printing in black/greyscale doesn't work, then we know it's a problem with the black cartridge.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have set to black/greyscale printing. Also, when i print on paper documents there is not a problem printing in black text which leads me to believe there is not a problem with the black cartridge.

What happens when you try to print black only on a CD? Does it feed it through like it is printing and then spit it out blank, or does it give you an error?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Spit it out blank.

At any point that you remember, did the printer or computer come up and warn you about low black ink? Asking you to enable or disable a related feature, even if you have replaced the cartridge since then?

Please go to the printer menu, press the arrow buttons to select Setup and press the OK button, Select Maintenance and press the OK button, and then select nozzle check to print out a test page of all cartridges including BLK and PBLK

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did. The Black and the Photo black appear to be okay.

In that case, it has to be either the software or a software/driver setting. I'm assuming you are using the EPSON CD software. I know you have done at lease some of this already, but what I would do is uninstall all the epson software and completely remove the printer, reboot, then go download the latest all-inclusive software package here:

http://bitli.es/biplOY

And install from scratch. The download page will give you the correct package based on your operating system.

Also, on that page which is not part of the software package is a firmware update from 2014 that, unless your printer was bought very recently, probably isn't installed on the printer. I would download that as well and do the firmware upgrade if you need it. In fact, I would do that before going through the first suggestion.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do and let you know the results.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The problem is resolved. Thanks. I will keep this website for future reference.

Excellent. I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service using the rating icons on this page. Thank you.