Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My printer will not work

Customer Question

My printer will not work
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message?

Are you currently able to make a copy from the printer's glass (not print from the computer)?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?

Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started having trouble when I downloaded Microsoft 10. My printer has not worked since then. I have tried everything. I installed and uninstalled the printer. I have windows 7 now. The printer is on but will not copy or scan or print from the computer. Help

Can you please turn off the printer, then disconnect power cord from the printer for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then turn on

, then put a document or photo faced down on the printer's glass, then press the Copy button / option on the printer, then what happens? (Do not scan nor print from the computer for now.)

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is wireless. I am shutting the printer off now.

OK, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to copy in black and nothing. I copied in color and it worked. I have replaced the black ink cartridge so that is weird.

Did you remove the strip from the blank ink cartridge when replacing it?

Please check that. If needed, can you press Setup (tool / wrench) icon on printer, then select option Tools, then select option Clean Printhead to clean the printer, and check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought the new cartridge was faulty so I have now replaced it again. No luck

Sorry, can you press Setup (tool / wrench) icon on printer, then select option Tools, then select option Clean Printhead to clean the printer, then see if you can make a black copy on the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I asked to check the cartridges on
Setup it said there was no printer connection.When I selected Clean Printhead, all the colors showed up on the printed paper
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But not black ink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying another new black ink cartridge...although I have done this already.

Can you use a Q-tip or cloth dipped with water and clean the black ink slot (where you insert the blank ink cartridge to) on the printer? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok here goes

OK, then see if you can make a black copy; do printhead cleaning again as needed. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. No black copy and the cleaning only shows color.

I'm sorry, this looks like a hardware issue with the printer; there should be nothing wrong with the computer. I'm out of suggestions; I can open this issue to other experts, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree - it only started acting up after I downloaded Microsoft 10. It hasn't worked since then.

Sorry, I think that is a coincidence since copying on the printer itself does not require connection to the computer (via wired or wireless), thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is saying ....Continue with Level 2 cleaning? 1= yes 2= no. What does that mean?

Can you try level 2 cleaning? It's for deep cleaning, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pressing the number 1 and nothing happens,.

That's strange, how about pressing 2?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 takes it back to the beginning. I will do it again.

OK, see if you can do level 2 cleaning, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - it let me choose 1 now.

ok, after level 2 cleaning, check, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done cleaning - it printed the colored sheet as it did before. Still no black ink. Isn't there a way to check the cartridges from the computer?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean check cartridges from computer; copying has nothing to do with the computer, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a program that used to pop up that told me how much ink was in the cartridges. So I printed from my computer and it only printed a portion of the page. What the heck.

I don't think it will help anything, but if you open the HP Officejet 6500... program on the computer, you can check the ink cartridges there, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I try?

I'm sorry; that's all I can think of, i.e., clean printhead through printer's menu and clean it physically, so I think it's hardware issue; I'm out of suggestions, but I can open the issue to other experts, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just pulled up the HP Solution Center and it said it could not help me because the device is not completely set up.

Does it let you set up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they help me reinstall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another question.....when I uninstalled Microsoft 10, my Facebook page stopped showing videos. Can you suggest a fix for that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Helloooo??

Sorry, I can help you reinstall the printer, but I don't think the black ink would work

I can connect remotely to your computer and fix the facebook issue for you.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

the facebook thing would have to do with what browser you are using for it

If you are using edge the new version of the internet explorer you should try the steps on this page to make sure the flash is enabled

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-10-edge.html

or you might just try using chrome.

if that is giving you an issue re download and install the adobe flash player