Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My Epson XP-420 keeps telling me that I have a paper jam

Customer Question

My Epson XP-420 keeps telling me that I have a paper jam which I do not. Brand new, my second Epson 420. Marilyn (###) ###-####if you want to call me.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Have you used the epson previously, or is this the first time setup?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have had the same Epson 420 for a number of years. I am experiencing so many different noises now. Due to the problems I had with my last one, I even purchased a new one about a year ago because I could not resolve the issues with the last one. I just cannot afford to do that again. I have the setting on Plain paper, letter. The paper I am using is a little more glossy then the last ream I purchased...would that make a difference? I also tried to change from color to black and white because the work I was doing was black and white, however, that is when I started to have trouble so I moved the settings back to color and I am still have the problem....including a very loud high pitched squeezing noise then the machine quite.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

But this new printer has worked previously, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I may go to phone call if I do not make any sense.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have unplugged the printer, turned it on and off. It was not until late yesterday afternoon I started having problems.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I changed the settings to plain paper and letter. After that bingo....I had problems. Now I cannot remember what the setting was. Should I try plain paper and 8 x 10? I thing that was the other setting.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Okay thank you for confirming. Just wanted to make sure it worked before, as this can be caused by packing materials on new machines.

The current jam error simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nathan, the directions are not working....I turned printer back on - now I get Error Code; 0xE8...what does that mean?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

That pertains to a carriage jam or fault with the absorber system.

It basically means that the carriage/printhead assembly is not able to move freely, check if there is something stuck under/beside it.
If no change, then there is an internal fault here, and the next step would be to return the printer to the retailer if it is within their return period and exchange it for a new one. If past their return policy, I can give you the number to file a warranty claim to have it replaced by epson.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please give me the number to file a warranty claim so my Epson can be replaced. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If it is less than 30 days old though any store should take it back which is really the simplest option. If you can, I'd suggest asking for your money back, and buying a different model. For only a little bit more, you can get a much more capable model that is better built as well.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC

To file warranty claims call(###) ###-####/p>

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,