Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

, My HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one printer gives me the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one printer gives me the folowing error message: "Ink System Failure. Turn off and then back on" I have turned it off and on several times but I keep getting the same message.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 7 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The printer is working again. I followed a few instructions from a support forum.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You may have been able to temporarily reset it, but the issue will come back sooner than later, and ultimately still needs service or replacement.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All fixes to printers and the such are temporary.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Yes they are, but I was referring to the overall age of the printer being so far past its service life that any progress at this point is going to be very short lived.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If (when) you end up looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

--

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.