Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Cannon Printer Model MC860 (yes it is an oldie) will not

Customer Question

Cannon Printer Model MC860 (yes it is an oldie) will not feed the printer paper past the first couple inches in the real of the feed tray. The error comes up "remove paper jam" and by removing the paper feed tray I can reach to rear where about half of sheet is stuck. I remove it by pulling it in reverse and reset the control. Same thing happens on next try to print something from my computer.
Is there something that I am missing or does it sound really bad like a broken roller of the like?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction - this is an MX860 printer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There is probably a defective paper presence sensor. It fails to register the presence of paper that should be sensed as passing into a certain location (near the rear of the feed tray, it seems, or wherever the paper stops.) So the printer deduces that the paper has become crumpled up, stuck, or misfed somewhere before that point, and stops working with a 'paper jam' error.

This will probably require service-repairing for the printer.

You could try a rest-reset: turn the printer Off. Leave it Off for a while (preferably several hours or overnight.) Then turn it On and see if the error is cured. (This is not likely to work, and don't bother trying it twice or more.)