Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

The print head moves freely. I have done cleaned the copper

Customer Question

The print head moves freely. I have done cleaned the copper connections and done the OK, Black, Stop, Power simultaneously, however, the 6A81 message still occurs.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

The error code 6A81 indicates an issue with the purge unit.
This usually requires a repair\service of the unit.

However, you may try the below steps:

remove the cartridge...turn off the unit....unplug the power cable...manually slide the carriage assembly\ printhead back and forth
also clean the rail against which the assembly slides with a tissue ensuring that there is no ink residue on it
clean the golden contacts of the cartridges and the printhead with a cotton swab dipped in little alcohol
once these steps have been done follow the below steps as well
manually move the printhead to far left
on the far right there is a little white plastic tab that is spring loaded
just check that if its not getting jammed
push the tab towards the front of the printer
once done just turn on and check the status

in case still the error repeats and you get the same error code, then it is an issue with the purge unit.. if the unit is within warranty cover please contact Canon and get the unit serviced...if not, you need to contact a repair tech for physical replacement of the part..however, my personal suggestion is that a repair will not be cost effective

you can get a new unit at almost the same or little more cost

i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work again

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further