Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I have an Epson CX8400 All in One that has worked

Customer Question

I have an Epson CX8400 All in One that has worked beautifully until a few days ago when I moved it to another location and plugged it in. It wouldn't turn on. I checked the outlet using a lamp; it's fine. I tried the printer in other outlets. There is no electricity going to the printer and it's definitely a printer issue. Help, please
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you remove the power cable from the power socket, then open the printer up and with it open, plug the power in and try to turn it on.

Do you get any power from it then?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure what "open it up" means, specifically. I have raised the cover so I can see the "insides" - I removed the power cable from the socket and then opened it and plugged the power back in. There is still no power. Perhaps I didn't open it correctly?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

yes, raiding the cover is opening the printer, thats how to open it, its the only method to do this.

Are any lights on it showing at all, even for an instant when the power cable is plugged in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No lights, no nothing. Dead.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Thanks

It is the internal power board that has faulted in the printer. Its not firmware related else the last step we did would have got it started.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand, Richard. I appreciate your honesty about it. This printer is out of warranty; is probaby eight years old or so. Is it worth finding a service center to repair it?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

If it is out of warranty it is not worth it sorry. The cost of the repair plus labor is about the same as a replacement printer (they are very cheap now days) and what tips the scale is you only receive a limited warranty with the repair. At 8 years, the rollers will be quite warn as will the print heads drive motor and gearing, so its likely they would fail in the future, and then you would require further repairs.

In my experience I advise you purchase a new printer, 8 years is very good use out of it (average is 5) so you did well with this one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, Richard. At least we know what's wrong and what to do about it. I so appreciate your assistance.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome

If you need anything else, please let me know and please remember the service rating.

Thank you