Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Brother HL-5470DW printer will not print duplex from Word

Customer Question

My Brother HL-5470DW printer will not print duplex from Word for Mac 2011 (version 14.5.9). I can specify 2-sided printing (Print/Copy & Pages/Layout/Two-Sided/Long-Edge Binding) in the print menu and then hit the Print command, but it still only prints one-sided.
The printer prints duplex from Chrome or Preview on my Mac, but not from Windows 2011.
Also, if I run Word 2013 on my Mac under Windows 8.1 and Parallels 10, the printer prints duplex just fine--it just won't do it under Word for Mac 2011.
This will not work for me--I have many documents that I need to print from Word 2011, and I need to print them duplex. What's the fix?
Thank You,
Douglas Col, Ph.D.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you might have a problem with drivers, and their being properly installed.

Also, to print duplex from MS Word may perhaps require that not only the exact proper driver for you printer model, be installed, and used, but also that the driver settings be set for duplex (or '2-sided') printing, as well as the print settings in MS Word. MS Word may not be overriding the driver's settings, as opposed to the other programs, and the driver's settings prevailing, with MS Word they come out 1-sided (as the driver is no doubt set... or if not an exactly right match of a driver, its settings too may be ineffective at directing the printer to use duplex mode.)

If you wish I can give you instructions as to how to uninstall, restart, and reinstall the printer's proper drivers.