Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have an old HP Photosmart C5180 that has been a great

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I have an old HP Photosmart C5180 that has been a great workhorse until now it won't print with the black ink - the black comes out only half printed letters, gray or not at all. I replaced the cartridge twice and ran the cartridge cleaning utility already
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats all I have
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

the print head is clogged or defective.

you can do the automatic print cleaning a few more times. It basically just forces ink through the print head to try to clear it. sometimes it takes a few tries.

you can also try the alignment function

after that you need to replace or manually clean the print head and that is not easy on that printer as it is not designed for print head replacement

there is a 20 minute youtube video on how to do it on this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpWW31MBRc8